Have you ever heard the word pineappling? Before you start thinking it has something to do with a pineapple delicacy, pineappling is a protective hairstyle that preserves hair length and curls.
The name is coined from the shape the hair assumes after pinning it up. The whole idea behind pineappling is to pack the hair on top of your head, so only the back of the hair is disturbed while sleeping.
It is one of the easiest protective hairstyles that anyone can try by themselves at home.
What is the Pineapple Method for Natural Hair?
The idea behind pineappling natural hair is to pile your curls on top of your head and secure it in place with a hair wrap, so the curly part stays on top. Pineapple method for natural hair Preserves curls and keeps your hair in good shape for the next day.
Do you have natural hair and don’t want to be bothered about getting a weave or styling it every day? Then you should try the pineapple hair method.
- Start by bending your head forward.
- Pack up the hair in a ponytail on top of the head.
- Secure the ponytail loosely with a non-slip band.
- Straighten out the ponytail.
- Wear a satin cap or a pineapple hair scarf and go to sleep.
- Remove the non-slip band after 8 hours.
- Spray water and condition mix to hair once you are ready to go out. Or just apply oil and fluff.
- Have fun flaunting your hair.
Pineapple Method for Short Hair
Those with short hair can now enjoy their 2nd-day curls graciously.
- Divide into two sections.
- Pack each section forward and up in a ponytail.
- Secure each ponytail loosely with an ouchless hair band.
- Finish it up by wearing a silk scarf over your hair or sleeping on a silk pillowcase.
- To be ready for the next day, either spritz hair with water and conditioner or apply your favorite oil and fluff.
Pineapple Method for Long Hair
This pineappling method is suitable for those with longer hair.
- Dry hair if wet before beginning
- Bend your head forward and pick it up in a ponytail
- Secure the ponytail loosely with an ouchless hair band
- Straighten out the top of the hair and wear a satin cap over it remember to leave a bit of space for your hair to gather
- After 8 hours take out the hair band and spritz with a conditioning mix or apply your favorite oil and fluff before stepping out of the house.
Pineapple Method for Curly Hair
If you want to put your curly hair into a pineapple before going to bed, you are going to need an ouchless hair band, water in a spray bottle and some Bobby pins.
- To begin, gather up your curls into a ponytail and hold it up with a band.
- If you have short curly hair, then some hairs may not be able to go up in a ponytail. For the shorter sections, secure it firmly with Bobby pins.
- Go to sleep on a satin pillowcase.
- To restore the hair back to its voluminous and neat state, use your hand to shake up the curls and spritz a bit of water to revitalize it.
- Avoid using too much water, you don’t want your hair to be wet and flat.
Pineapple Method for Straight Hair
Pineappling straight natural hair is an easy as placing a high ponytail on top of your head, folding in the ends and sleeping on a silk pillowcase. The next morning apply oil and fluff.
Pineapple Method for Transitioning Hair
Are you transitioning from relaxed hair to natural hair? The pineapple method may not be the protective nighttime style to sleep in till your natural hair is grown out to some extent.
To pineapple transitioning hair, the best method is to use the pineapple hair wrap method. Lay out the pineapple hair scarf in a triangular position and use it to secure your hair in a ponytail.
This way, the chances of your hair being straightened is reduced to a minimum.
Pineappling Wet Hair
Pineappling wet hair is the perfect way to get more curls out of your hair the next day. To pineapple your hair wet, you would want to shampoo, condition and apply special hair products to your hair before putting it up in a ponytail and wrapping in a silk scarf.
This is not a complicated process and can be done at home. The hair products applied are left on the hair overnight, and the resultant effect is more defined and lasting curls.
There are various products to use when pineappling your hair wet.
Pineapple Method Hair Products
Maple Holistic Hair Conditioner
This hair conditioner will restore dry and damaged hair leaving it supple silky and soft. It is enriched with jojoba, keratin, and vitamins needed to promote hair growth.
Vo5 Voluminizing Shampoo
This is a perfect sulfate free shampoo that has volumizing effects. This product is the only thing you need to kick off the washing process.
Curl Cream Gel
After shampooing, deep conditioning, and conditioning the hair, you would want to follow up with this curling cream infused with argan oil. This curl cream is perfect for creating the picture-perfect waves and curls on your hair.
It has anti-frizz properties and applies smoothly over the hair.
How to do a Pineapple Hair Bun
The pineapple hair bun is the perfectly imperfect, messy bun for casual dates. To achieve this look, place your hair in a high ponytail and secure it with an ouchless hair band.
Tuck in your loose hairs to create the perfect updo. Wear a silk scarf and go to bed.
Pineapple Method Hair Removal
To restore your hair after pineappling all you have to do is take off your ouchless hair band. Next, just use your hands to fluff your hair.
Don’t forget to follow up with the L.O.C method to restore curls.
Unique Tips to Live By
Just with every other hairstyle, there are certain tips to have at the back of your mind.
- Always wear a satin scarf on your hair before going to bed. If you don’t have a satin scarf, you can opt for a satin pillowcase.
- To reduce breakage ouchless hair bands are better than rubber or cloth bands, or a pineapple hair scarf.
- Avoid holding the ponytail too tight with your band.
- Use curl creams if will be using the pineapple method on wet hair before you place your hair in a band.
The Pineapple method for natural hair is one of best ways to preserve your curls. This method is great considering the amount of time you spend during the washing and styling process.
You want to preserve your hair for a few days. Your hair will be curly and ready to go the next day without much styling effort.
Hey Curl Friend, I’m Patrina Haupt the creator and author of Natural Hair Queen. I hope you find my healthy hair care tips helpful in your hair journey. Healthy hair care practices are definitely, what helped me to achieve waist length hair.
Want to receive my weekly hair care tips and free natural hair care guide? Click Here.