Indian hair oiling is a common practice among Indian women in both Northern and Southern India. Many Indian women have healthy, long black hair and give credit to this ancient hair care method.
Indian hair oiling is gaining popularity among natural hair queens because of its effectiveness in strengthening and growing hair.
You may already know the importance of sealing moisture into the hair by applying oil. Indian hair oiling takes it one step further by giving the oil time to penetrate the hair shaft.
There are variations of the tradition, but all are useful in growing stronger, healthier, and longer curls. All methods of Indian hair oiling will help strengthen your locks, reduce hair loss, and encourage faster hair growth.
This post will focus on three of the best Indian hair oiling treatments. Try all of them to see which one your hair likes best.
Indian Daily Hair Care Regimen
The Indian hair care regimen focuses on using oils as a base for cleansing and conditioning the hair. You can use any natural oil you have on hand such as
Using these tried and true methods of washing means you can avoid putting harsh chemicals in your hair. You’ll probably need store-bought shampoos and conditioners less frequently as your hair becomes healthier.
Try experimenting with the right amounts of oils so you can tailor the methods to your hair’s specific needs.
Using oils and herbs as the base for your cleansing and conditioning routine protects your hair, even when washing. Using oil massaging in your natural hair care regimen will also give you a luxurious and relaxing experience.
In addition to soft and shiny hair, the sense of well-being makes it easy to understand why this is a common practice throughout India.
Indian Daily Hair Care Routine
It’s important to use an oil that your hair loves when you do an Indian daily hair care routine. If you haven’t experimented with oils yet, start with coconut oil. It’s lightweight, easy to find, and effective. Here is a simple Indian hair oiling method that you can do before a co-wash:
- Divide your hair into workable sections and apply a small amount of oil to your scalp.
- Massage for a few minutes, then distribute throughout the hair.
- Rinse with warm water and follow with a conditioner.
- Seal the moisture into your hair with a touch of oil.
- Style as usual, but be sure to avoid heated styling tools.
- The next day: Add a small amount of oil onto the hair strands and ends only, avoiding the scalp.
It’s a good idea to experiment with the amount of oil. Be sure to reduce the amount next time if your hair feels too greasy.
Why is this treatment so effective? The oil absorbs into the hair all day, protecting it from the elements. It makes the hair more moisturized, resulting in less breakage. It won’t be long before you notice softer, shinier, and stronger hair.
Indian Hair Care Products
Indian hair care products differ from conventional products because they come in powder form and you need to mix them with a favorite oil.promote hair growth and a healthy scalp.
You can purchase shikakai powder at beauty supply stores and online. Amla powder is another product used in the Indian hair oiling method.
Amla powder is made from Indian gooseberries and works with your favorite oil to strengthen the hair, prevent hair loss and add a healthy shine. It also promotes hair growth and prevents premature gray hair.
When mixing your cleansing oil, you can mix both shikakai and amla powders to create a healthy hair cocktail. Another beneficial ingredient is the gel of a
Amazon Auto Links: InvalidParameterValue: The ItemId B00J9HBMGQ provided in the request is invalid.
Many natural hair queens use
Traditional Indian Hair Care
Traditional Indian hair care uses cleansing and conditioning powders that you can mix with oil instead of using store bought shampoos and conditioners. One method is to wash your hair with a mixture of your favorite oil and
Amazon Auto Links: InvalidParameterValue: The ItemId B01IUAS97C provided in the request is invalid.
On wash day, you’ll massage the cleansing mixture into the scalp for about 10 minutes. For an extra luxurious feel, have a relative or friend do the massaging while your head is tilted back.
This massage cleanses the scalp, stimulates the hair follicles, and helps accelerate hair growth. It also promotes a calm state of mind and resembles a spa-like experience. Follow these directions:
- Massage the oil into your scalp with your fingertips while bending over with your head below your heart for 10 minutes. Take your time and enjoy the soothing massage. When you finish massaging, distribute the remaining oil throughout the hair strands.
- Wrap the hair in a shower cap and a soft bonnet. Let the oil soak in for at least one hour, but overnight is best. The heat from your scalp will help the oil penetrate the hair.
- Rinse with warm water or apple cider vinegar.
- Add leave-in conditioner if you want additional slip.
You can do this technique during the day, but you may want to do it at night because of its soothing effects.
Different Indian Hair Growth regimens
An Indian hair growth regimen will help you get the lovely, long locks you’ve always wanted. The following treatment speeds hair growth by stimulating the scalp with aloe vera
You’ll massage your scalp while doing the inversion method, and apply your favorite oil before bedtime. Follow these directions for softer, shinier hair:
- Rub the juice from a raw aloe vera leaf directly onto the scalp. Massage while bending over with your head below the heart. Your scalp will feel tingly and exhilarated because of the extra blood flow.
- Apply a heavy amount of oil to the hair, avoiding the scalp.
- Wrap the hair in a plastic cap and satin bonnet, and leave overnight. It’s a good idea to protect your pillowcase with a towel when using this method to avoid getting oil on the pillowcase.
- Rinse your hair in the morning using warm water and an Ayurvedic powder shampoo mixed with oil.
- Rinse with cool water or
- Condition your hair, then apply your favorite leave-in conditioner.
- Add a touch of oil.
In between washes, touch up with a small amount of oil instead of conditioner. Do this regimen 2-3 times per week to add moisture and shine to your hair.
If you stick to this routine, you will soon notice faster growth, stronger strands and healthier ends.
Indian hair oiling is an excellent way to cleanse and hydrate your hair. The treatments help combat breakage by moisturizing and strengthening the hair shaft. Use these methods weekly, and you’ll see a noticeable difference in your hair’s health. Now it’s your turn to discuss. Will you be adding Indian hair oiling to your natural hair regimen?
Hey Curl Friend, I’m Patrina Haupt the creator and author of Natural Hair Queen. I hope you find my healthy hair care tips helpful in your hair journey. Healthy hair care practices are definitely, what helped me to achieve waist length hair.
Want to receive my weekly hair care tips and free natural hair care guide? Click Here.