Micro braids are perfect for anyone. They last a long time and require minimal daily maintenance. Although most people avoid this hairstyle because of the amount of time it takes to install, micro braids are the easiest styles to rock.
Micro braids are tiny braids that are braided tightly into the hair. This hairstyle is mostly popular amongst women of African descent and lasts a long time. Those seeking protective hairstyles can opt to get micro braids done using synthetic braids or natural hair extensions. There are different styles of micro braids which are very popular today.
What Style of Micro Braids Do You Want?
Straight Micro Braids
Are you looking to get straight micro braids? This style of braids is very simple that you can design in multiple ways. When getting braids like these, straight synthetic hair extensions of any color are used. The result is a long straight hairstyle that can be packed in a bun, swept to the side or curled to give a wavy look.
Wet and Wavy Micro Braids
This style of braids is made with wet and wavy hair extensions that have not been placed in a weft. Because of the kind of hairs used in making these braids, it requires special care to retain its curl and shine. After getting these braids installed, a lightweight sheen should be applied daily. If you are unable to lay your hands on a good and affordable light hair spray, consider making yours using equal parts of conditioner, water, and oil. After applying the spray, scrunch the hair and run your fingers through it to bring back the bounce.
Some hairstylist uses straight hair extensions to make wavy microbraids. This process takes a longer time, but the result is always beautiful.
Getting braids like this installed perfectly might require the service of a professional hairstylist. However, you can also install micro braids yourself with practice. Before you proceed to get this hair done, keep in mind that the process will last for 8-12 hours depending on how fast your hairstylist is.
Here are a few things to keep in mind before getting micro braids:
- Shorter hairs are most suited for micro braids. Those with longer hair will have to pay extra attention to their hair and moisturize daily to prevent breakage.
- Braids that are installed too tight tend to cause breakage mostly around the front hairline. If you lose your front hairline to breakage, growing it back will take a lot of time and effort.
- When having your braids installed by a professional stylist, be prepared to spend a good amount of money. Good things don’t come cheap.
- Different kinds of extensions can be used in making micro braids. Synthetic hair extensions are less expensive than human hair extensions,
- Micro braids can be done using your natural hair. When using your natural hair to make micro braids, avoid making it too tight so it would be easy to loosen.
How to Micro Braid Your Hair
Before you venture out to braiding your hair, ensure your hair is conditioned, and all split ends have been trimmed off. Use a protein treatment on your hair weeks before you have it braided. Doing this treatment will strengthen the hair and reduce the chances of breakage.
To micro braid, your hair, begin by cutting the hair into four sections
Start off with a tiny section of the hair and begin braiding. If using hair extensions, add it in at this stage. If you are confused on how to do this, consider going to a hair stylist who is good at making micro braids with hair extensions.
Continue braiding till you are done with one section. Many videos on YouTube show you how to get braids like this done easily.
One good thing about micro braids is that they can last as long as three months before taking them out. If you want to wear your micro braids for as long as 3months, then you will have to follow certain care steps, so they stay looking new, clean, and beautiful
How to Care for Your Micro Braids
The importance of a healthy hair cannot be overemphasized. It is important to care for your hair while they are braided to keep them healthy and moisturized. Although micro braids is a protective hairstyle, your hair can end up damaged when you neglect them for an extended period of time.
Most hair stylists offer aftercare advice for micro-braided hair but just in case you forgot to ask your hairstylist, here are some care tips to have in the back of your mind.
- Condition and wash your hair regularly while wearing the braids. Everyone should wash their hair occasionally no matter what kind of hairstyle they have on. You could easily get tempted to neglect your hair given the fact that they are tucked away in braids. To effectively wash your braided hair, shampoo your scalp gently at least once a week and follow up with some conditioner. A moisturizing shampoo is more suitable to use in this case.
- Gels and other heavy products will cause dirt build up and lead to hair breakage. Most videos on Youtube advocate for heavy styling products to achieve a particular hair style with your braids. If you are going to be using such products, do make sure you wash it off after it has served its purpose.
- Use some light oil to restore moisture to your hair daily. Coconut oil is a perfect product to use.
- Listen to your hair and take out the braids once they begin to fall off, weigh you down, look old, or start itching.
Micro braids are great protective hairstyles suitable for anyone. Even if it takes a lot of time to install, the versatility of the hair makes the whole process more fun.
Braids like this are suitable for any occasion and can be styled in multiple ways. When going for a formal event or a business interview, you can pack your braids into a bun. This type of style is classy and elegant.
For a date or dinner party, consider sweeping your braids to one side. It creates the perfect look for such an occasion.
Short and wavy micro braids are perfect for a casual hang out with friends that call for something simple.
More elaborate styling can be done on days when you want to look more dramatic.
You could wake up every morning for the next two or three months not wondering what to do with your hair. Micro braids are very attractive and offer much more flexibility than any other hair style. You could do a whole lot of things with this style of braids.
Hey Curl Friend, I’m Patrina Haupt the creator and author of Natural Hair Queen. I hope you find my healthy hair care tips helpful in your hair journey. Healthy hair care practices are definitely, what helped me to achieve waist length hair.